All dogs need room for free-running exercise
THE reason I chose to make my life in London (in the 1950s) was the freedom to be able to walk my dog on Hampstead Heath, Waterlow Park, Highgate Woods and Cherry Tree Wood, and the brookside walks in Hampstead Garden Suburb. The Heath was an oasis from t
THE reason I chose to make my life in London (in the 1950s) was the freedom to be able to walk my dog on Hampstead Heath, Waterlow Park, Highgate Woods and Cherry Tree Wood, and the brookside walks in Hampstead Garden Suburb.
The Heath was an oasis from the countryside - no snares and gin traps, no gamekeepers, no sheep or even motorised traffic disturbed this refuge.
All dogs need plenty of free- running exercise. To deprive them of their natural movement would be to make them unhealthy and unhappy.
Dogs are, and always have been, our first friends (and our best friends). They came to live with us even before the ice age. They came of their own accord and ever since then have given us total loyalty and companionship unequalled. At times they voluntarily save our lives, sometimes even risking their own lives (no man has greater love than this).
You may also want to watch:
We should rejoice that we have this gift of friendship (and often unrewarded service). We should celebrate dogs and give them the space they need and deserve - a proper place in our society and room to be free and to be with us, their chosen family.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 3 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 7 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 10 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
Fortis Green, N2