‘Sometimes you have to act’: Alexandra Palace Way to close at night following lockdown spike in ‘dangerous driving’
- Credit: Alexandra Palace
Alexandra Palace Way will be closed in the evenings from Tuesday (June 2) as the financially troubled Ally Pally warns it will “work out how to pay for it later”.
The road and its parking bays will be closed between 8pm-5am following a “huge increase” in anti-social behaviour, dangerous driving and illegal parking.
The move will cost the venue more than £60,000 and it is already facing a £1m funding gap from the Covid-19 crisis.
Louise Stewart, Alexandra Palace CEO, says the Muswell Hill venue has felt “under siege” at times during lockdown and its resources “overwhelmed”.
In a statement released on May 29, the CEO said: “Our funds are limited and would be better spent on improving the park and palace.
“However it is our job to look after it as best we can and to minimise the impact on our neighbours.
“We feel it is the right thing to do and we will need to work out how we pay for it later.
You may also want to watch:
“They are words I never thought I would say, it’s not the best way to run any organisation.
“But sometimes you just have to act and regrettably we have reached that point.”
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 6 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 7 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 8 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 9 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 10 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
The W3 bus will be diverted during evening hours and cars left parked on the road before Tuesday 9am will be towed.
A Haringey Council spokesperson said: “The palace’s decision to close Alexandra Palace Way will go a long way towards curbing the recent reports of antisocial behaviour happening on the roads and surrounding grounds at Alexandra Palace.
“The council is working closely with the palace to minimise any impact to local residents and has also deployed council enforcement officers to the area to ensure road users are observing enforcement notices for surrounding local roads.”
For more information click here.