Air Studios wins two-year ‘battle for survival’ after appeal over basement next door withdrawn
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead’s world-famous Air recording studios has won its two-year legal battle against plans to dig a basement next door.
As reported in the Ham&High, the studio, in Rosslyn Hill, has been fighting the proposals from Andrew and Elizabeth Jeffreys to build a basement at their home in Rosslyn Hill for two years.
Air Studios owner Paul Woolf believed the noise and vibrations from the basement excavation would force the studios to close for up to six months and threaten its survival.
With its unrivalled acoustics, the studios, based in the Grade II-listed former church Lyndhurst Hall, is one of only two recording studios in the UK to provide score recording services to the major film industry.
Over 13.000 people had signed a petition against the Jeffrey’s application and leading lights of the music and film worlds, including popstar George Michael, the head of the British Film Commission Adrian Wootton, Oscar-winning film composer Hans Zimmer, and Queen guitarist Brian May added their voices to the protest.
You may also want to watch:
The Jeffreys had initially planned to build two basements for a home cinema room, gym and swimming pool.
The plans were changed earlier this year to remove one basement from the proposals. However Air Studios still contested that it would have an effect on their ability to record music.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 8 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 9 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
A public planning inquiry was due to begin in May 2018 to make a final decision on the plans.
Expert witnesses were due to have been called to give their opinion on the effect excavation work would have on recordings.
The planning inspectorate website today announced that the Jeffreys appeal has been withdrawn.
A statement by the Jeffreys family architects Thomas Croft, said: “The family has decided to withdraw the application to extend their family home in light of the decision to move the process to a full public inquiry.”
“The family has every intention of remaining in their home for many years to come.”
Mr Woolf said he regretted the whole affair, but was delighted that the battle was now over.
He said: “After a two year slog right has finally triumphed. We are absolutely delighted to have won this wasteful planning process and to have removed the risk to so many people, had Air been forced to shut.
“We are forever grateful to the thousands who supported us and to our staff and clients who showed immense resolve in uncertain waters.
“We are thrilled that Air can now continue its work as an integral part of the global film and music businesses.”
He added that fighting the application had come at some cost to the studios, which they were looking to recoup.
“We’ve been forced to invest the better part of £200,000 on lawyers and experts,” he said.
The Jeffreys family has been contacted for comment.