Age UK Haringey to close after 25 years ‘with great sadness’
- Credit: PA WIRE
The charity will provide a limited service until it closes on April 30 as it cannot meet its financial obligations.
Guy Stevenson, chief executive of Age UK Haringey, said that the charity’s costs were no longer sustainable.
“Despite our best efforts during the course of last year to reduce our costs to a sustainable level, we have been forced to the conclusion that unavoidable, on-going financial obligations mean that ultimately the charity is not sustainable for the future,” he said.
“We are working hard with our partners to ensure that the interests of those using our services are protected and wherever possible transferred to other providers.
“We would like to thank all the staff and volunteers who have worked at Age UK Haringey over the years and who have helped to make this a better place for the older people living in the borough.”
You may also want to watch:
Julie Schwarz, chair of Age UK Haringey board of trustees said: “The charity has been a committed and campaigning voice in supporting the independence and wellbeing of older people in Haringey and the decision to cease operating is one we have taken with great sadness and only after a great deal of thought.
“The contribution that older people make to the life of the borough is precious. We are no longer able to help them but we hope other charities, church groups and communities will take up their cause.”
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 6 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 10 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
Age UK Haringey was an independent charity and part of the Age UK network.
- Older people can ontact Age UK on 0800 169 6565 to find out about other services.
- For the full story, see this week’s Broadway edition.