Actor Tom Conti calls on Camden Council to stop squandering money
ACTOR Tom Conti has called on Camden Council to stop wasting money on re-modelling pavements which do not need to be repaired.
The Shirley Valentine Star, who lives in Hampstead, was furious to see workmen re-surfacing the pavement in Church Row at a time when Camden Council is making deep cuts to services for children and the elderly.
Mr Conti said: “The council is squandering money on remodelling pavements in Church Row that don’t need to be repaired. This is not the time to do it when everyone’s broke.
“This is a department spending its allocation instead of handing the money they haven’t spent to help the people who can’t afford to take the hit – the frail, the old and the elderly.
You may also want to watch:
Environment boss Cllr Sue Vincent said that she was concerned unnecessary road work was being done in the borough.
“I will take this up immediately,” she said. “I understand that people feel money should go on community facilities but our budget is usually ring fenced for specific things.”
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate