Actor Tom Conti calls on Camden Council to stop squandering money
ACTOR Tom Conti has called on Camden Council to stop wasting money on re-modelling pavements which do not need to be repaired.
The Shirley Valentine Star, who lives in Hampstead, was furious to see workmen re-surfacing the pavement in Church Row at a time when Camden Council is making deep cuts to services for children and the elderly.
Mr Conti said: “The council is squandering money on remodelling pavements in Church Row that don’t need to be repaired. This is not the time to do it when everyone’s broke.
“This is a department spending its allocation instead of handing the money they haven’t spent to help the people who can’t afford to take the hit – the frail, the old and the elderly.
You may also want to watch:
Environment boss Cllr Sue Vincent said that she was concerned unnecessary road work was being done in the borough.
“I will take this up immediately,” she said. “I understand that people feel money should go on community facilities but our budget is usually ring fenced for specific things.”
- 1 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 2 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 3 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 4 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 5 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 10 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close