AC Milan midfielder reveals he ‘would love to play for Spurs’
WORLD Cup finalist Mark van Bommel may be lining up against Tottenham for AC Milan next week, but he admits that he “would love to play for Spurs” in future.
Harry Redknapp has revealed that he had the chance to sign the Dutch international on a free transfer from Bayern Munich in January, but “dragged his heels” and lost the midfielder to Milan.
Redknapp admits that missing out on the 33-year-old was “probably a mistake”, but Van Bommel is only on a five-month contract at the San Siro and will be a free agent again at the end of the season.
The Tottenham manager admits that the midfielder “could be an option in the summer” – and will be encouraged by a positive response from the player himself.
“We had some contact with Spurs but unfortunately it didn’t work out in the end,” said Van Bommel. “It’s one of my favourite clubs in England, I really love the stadium and I know the training ground because I’ve been there with the Dutch national team.
You may also want to watch:
“Rafael [van der Vaart] has told me a lot of good stories. I’d love to play for Spurs. I’ve told Rafael that as well.
“I’m pleased with what Harry Redknapp’s said about me – that’s always positive. It’s not good to look back, you’ve got to look to the future. I’m happy at Milan, but you never know what will happen.”
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 7 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 NFL London 2021: Tottenham set to host two NFL games
Last Friday Redknapp said: “I could have taken Van Bommel. That was probably a mistake, perhaps I should have taken him. Van Bommel would have been a good player for us.
“Tom [Huddlestone] has had a setback and Van Bommel’s on a free, on a five-month contract at AC Milan. He would have been a good signing I think, maybe I should have done that one.
“He gives you experience. He’s been there, he played in the Champions League final last year, and the World Cup final. He’s a proper player for sure. He could be an option in the summer.
“It was a difficult one, I dragged my heels a bit. I took a bit of time over it, maybe too long and we didn’t do it in the end. Who knows, it might prove to be right, it might prove to be wrong.”