'Absolutely no plans to use new camera on West Heath'
I hope that you will allow me to make some points of clarification with respect to last week s front page story (Spy cameras on the Heath, H&H May 1). It is hoped that the camera will help reduce crime and anti-social behaviour on the Heath. We know that
I hope that you will allow me to make some points of clarification with respect to last week's front page story (Spy cameras on the Heath, H&H May 1).
It is hoped that the camera will help reduce crime and anti-social behaviour on the Heath. We know that some areas on the Heath attract troublemakers at certain times, which has the effect of making those areas less welcoming to the public than they should be.
I am here referring to Bank Holiday fairs and anti-social behaviour particularly in the Parliament Hill area.
The purpose of the camera is not to "spy" on people. It will not be used covertly, but will be deployed in a highly visible way. Its main purpose is to deter the commission of criminal offences.
You may also want to watch:
There are absolutely no plans to use the camera on West Heath. The City of London works very closely with the lesbian and gay communities to resolve the difficulties associated with West Heath.
Any changes to current policies for that part of the Heath would be discussed first.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 4 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 'You're welcome here': Best pals, 12, make care packages for Afghan refugees
The use of the camera is part of the effort to make the Heath Constabulary's work more effective.
We want the Heath to be a crime-free zone. The hope is that with reasonable, overt and sensible use modern technology will contribute to achieving that.
Chairman, Hampstead Heath Management Committee