A stain on our souls if we lose Torriano poets
The Ham&High has campaigned on many issues over the years, taking up the cudgels on behalf of all areas of our society, whether about people, animals or places. For example, a couple of years ago, with your newspaper s help, we managed to save a beautifu
The Ham&High has campaigned on many issues over the years, taking up the cudgels on behalf of all areas of our society, whether about people, animals or places.
For example, a couple of years ago, with your newspaper's help, we managed to save a beautiful old willow in Hampstead Garden Suburb that insurers wanted to fell. In other words, your newspaper has been instrumental in preserving important aspects of local life.
But what about the community of the mind where thoughts and words flourish? I am talking about the Torriano Meeting House, spiritual home of poets, now under threat again.
Three years ago the Labour incumbents at the Town Hall withdrew their subsidy (the annual rent is �10,000) and now I learn that the Tory-Lib Dem administration is asking for a full business rate, another �65 a month. Small beer, you might think, but with entry prices at the TMH ranging from only �5 and under, there is going to be an obvious shortfall.
You may also want to watch:
Why is the Torriano such a soft target? Is there not one creative brain among administrators? Have any of them ever been moved by poetry and have they ever considered the fact that there are few financially rich poets?
The Torriano is so loved, has many loyal, devoted supporters, that its demise would be a stain on all our souls. We have to recognise its value and support it. With your support, it would have a chance of survival, but only if these ridiculous charges are dropped.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
Hampstead Lane, N6