A real Christmas treat to put smiles on these young faces
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later. Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 – not an option the
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later.
Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 - not an option the previous evening - and made the short journey to the Hampstead branch of Barclays for this year's Christmas Cheer awards.
What made it such a joy was the delight on the faces of children from Hollickwood School in Muswell Hill, the Haringey Shed theatre company and the Highgate Harriers as their organisations received cheques for special projects.
The reactions on young faces as they stepped up to receive their grants was truly heartwarming and the perfect antidote to the wintry chills outside.
You may also want to watch:
Hollickwood, once threatened with closure, is now thriving and their �500 grant will help provide a more child-friendly playspace, while Haringey Shed's �500 could pay for a special needs support worker for youth theatre workshops or perhaps buy the costumes for an entire production. A delightful young lady by the name of Sarah Merriman accepted the award and it was a real pleasure to meet her.
The young Highgate Harriers accepted a �1,000 cheque amid promises of crowning their athletics careers with Olympic Games medals. Such is their level of confidence and optimism that I wouldn't be at all surprised.
- 1 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 2 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 5 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 6 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 7 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 8 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United