A real Christmas treat to put smiles on these young faces
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later. Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 – not an option the
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later.
Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 - not an option the previous evening - and made the short journey to the Hampstead branch of Barclays for this year's Christmas Cheer awards.
What made it such a joy was the delight on the faces of children from Hollickwood School in Muswell Hill, the Haringey Shed theatre company and the Highgate Harriers as their organisations received cheques for special projects.
The reactions on young faces as they stepped up to receive their grants was truly heartwarming and the perfect antidote to the wintry chills outside.
Hollickwood, once threatened with closure, is now thriving and their �500 grant will help provide a more child-friendly playspace, while Haringey Shed's �500 could pay for a special needs support worker for youth theatre workshops or perhaps buy the costumes for an entire production. A delightful young lady by the name of Sarah Merriman accepted the award and it was a real pleasure to meet her.
The young Highgate Harriers accepted a �1,000 cheque amid promises of crowning their athletics careers with Olympic Games medals. Such is their level of confidence and optimism that I wouldn't be at all surprised.
- 1 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 2 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 5 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 6 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 7 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 8 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 9 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend