A real Christmas treat to put smiles on these young faces
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later. Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 – not an option the
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later.
Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 - not an option the previous evening - and made the short journey to the Hampstead branch of Barclays for this year's Christmas Cheer awards.
What made it such a joy was the delight on the faces of children from Hollickwood School in Muswell Hill, the Haringey Shed theatre company and the Highgate Harriers as their organisations received cheques for special projects.
The reactions on young faces as they stepped up to receive their grants was truly heartwarming and the perfect antidote to the wintry chills outside.
You may also want to watch:
Hollickwood, once threatened with closure, is now thriving and their �500 grant will help provide a more child-friendly playspace, while Haringey Shed's �500 could pay for a special needs support worker for youth theatre workshops or perhaps buy the costumes for an entire production. A delightful young lady by the name of Sarah Merriman accepted the award and it was a real pleasure to meet her.
The young Highgate Harriers accepted a �1,000 cheque amid promises of crowning their athletics careers with Olympic Games medals. Such is their level of confidence and optimism that I wouldn't be at all surprised.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home