A real Christmas treat to put smiles on these young faces
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later. Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 – not an option the
Climbing the hill from Swiss Cottage to Hampstead village was a nightmare on Monday night in the thickening snow, but a delight just 24 hours later.
Along with deputy editor Laura Evans and reporter Susanna Wilkey, I boarded the 268 - not an option the previous evening - and made the short journey to the Hampstead branch of Barclays for this year's Christmas Cheer awards.
What made it such a joy was the delight on the faces of children from Hollickwood School in Muswell Hill, the Haringey Shed theatre company and the Highgate Harriers as their organisations received cheques for special projects.
The reactions on young faces as they stepped up to receive their grants was truly heartwarming and the perfect antidote to the wintry chills outside.
You may also want to watch:
Hollickwood, once threatened with closure, is now thriving and their �500 grant will help provide a more child-friendly playspace, while Haringey Shed's �500 could pay for a special needs support worker for youth theatre workshops or perhaps buy the costumes for an entire production. A delightful young lady by the name of Sarah Merriman accepted the award and it was a real pleasure to meet her.
The young Highgate Harriers accepted a �1,000 cheque amid promises of crowning their athletics careers with Olympic Games medals. Such is their level of confidence and optimism that I wouldn't be at all surprised.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 8 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate