A million Londonders could miss out on chance to vote for mayor
The Mayoral and London Assembly elections are taking place on 1 May, yet around a million Londoners could miss out their chance to vote unless they register now. London has the lowest voter registration in the country, with nearly one in five residents
The Mayoral and London Assembly elections are taking place on 1 May, yet around a million Londoners could miss out their chance to vote unless they register now.
London has the lowest voter registration in the country, with nearly one in five residents missing from the electoral role in inner London boroughs and one in ten in outer London.
I would urge all my London constituents to register so that they have the opportunity to vote and shape the future of our unique city. Young people, students, some ethnic minorities and new EU citizens are less likely to be on the electoral register, but may well be eligible to vote. People who have recently moved house or rent from a private landlord should also make sure they are registered at their current address.
As well as the election for London Mayor, Londoners will also be able to vote for their London Assembly Members who can influence and hold the Mayor to account on decisions over transport, policing, fire and safety, housing, the environment, economic development and arts and culture. These are crucial elections for London and every vote really will make a difference.
You may also want to watch:
It's quick and easy to register. Simply contact your borough council or go to www.londonelects.org.uk The deadline for registering to vote is 16 April.
- 1 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 2 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 5 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 6 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 7 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 8 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 9 West Hampstead community backs Nazanin 2,000 days since imprisonment
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
Green Party MEP for London