A million Londonders could miss out on chance to vote for mayor
The Mayoral and London Assembly elections are taking place on 1 May, yet around a million Londoners could miss out their chance to vote unless they register now. London has the lowest voter registration in the country, with nearly one in five residents
The Mayoral and London Assembly elections are taking place on 1 May, yet around a million Londoners could miss out their chance to vote unless they register now.
London has the lowest voter registration in the country, with nearly one in five residents missing from the electoral role in inner London boroughs and one in ten in outer London.
I would urge all my London constituents to register so that they have the opportunity to vote and shape the future of our unique city. Young people, students, some ethnic minorities and new EU citizens are less likely to be on the electoral register, but may well be eligible to vote. People who have recently moved house or rent from a private landlord should also make sure they are registered at their current address.
As well as the election for London Mayor, Londoners will also be able to vote for their London Assembly Members who can influence and hold the Mayor to account on decisions over transport, policing, fire and safety, housing, the environment, economic development and arts and culture. These are crucial elections for London and every vote really will make a difference.
It's quick and easy to register. Simply contact your borough council or go to www.londonelects.org.uk The deadline for registering to vote is 16 April.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 8 Gabriel Jesus solves Arsenal's striking conundrum
- 9 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 10 Beauty and the Beast: Eyepopping heartwarming spectacle
Green Party MEP for London