A grave threat to Frognal's vital breathing space
It is well over a year now since you kindly publicised a battle going on in our conservation area. In May 2007 you reported how developers wished to demolish 22 Frognal Way. Apart from the fact that the garden of this property is a haven for wildlife, it
It is well over a year now since you kindly publicised a battle going on in our conservation area. In May 2007 you reported how developers wished to demolish 22 Frognal Way.
Apart from the fact that the garden of this property is a haven for wildlife, it also has some superb trees. The plans include not only two large double-storey houses, which would destroy the view of the back of the Georgian terrace in Church Row, which is enjoyed by the hundreds of visitors and schoolchildren who pass along Frognal Way daily, they would also spoil the lovely view from the graveyard of the parish church, resting place of John Constable. Of equal importance is the detrimental effect on the underground water courses; the present property has an undercroft , built because of the problems when building the bungalow.
The present would-be developers also plan considerable underground excavations, including a parking area. Furthermore they have plans to extend the development which then would adjoin Perrin's Walk. This is a major intrusion on the really beautiful 'breathing space' in this heavily built-up area.
Camden Council rejected the plans on all counts, but the developers have now gone through the Deputy Prime Minister's office and there is to be a two-day hearing next Tuesday and Wednesday, October 7 and 8.
You may also want to watch:
There is much discussion about using brownfield sites to help build 'affordable' housing but that concept is hardly appropriate to this site.
I am hoping to let as many people as possible know about this hearing. The voice of the man in the street is too often ignored.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 4 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 5 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 6 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 7 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 8 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
Chairman, Church Row Association, NW3