90 parking days left before you get Christmas gift from Barnet
Do you think it would be worthwhile warning your readers that they are now in danger of getting a £50 fine for parking offences in the borough of Barnet on Christmas Day and Boxing Day? Although traditionally, ever since parking meters were introduced, pa
Do you think it would be worthwhile warning your readers that they are now in danger of getting a £50 fine for parking offences in the borough of Barnet on Christmas Day and Boxing Day?
Although traditionally, ever since parking meters were introduced, parking restrictions have been suspended on public holidays, other than on double yellow lines, the borough of Barnet has decided that this should no longer apply.
The signs on many roads certainly read that parking is not permitted from Monday to Saturday in certain parts of the borough, but the council has not seen fit to add the one word "every" which would have warned the public that this applied to public holidays as well.
Parking meters were first introduced to reduce traffic congestion, which simply doesn't occur on quiet roads on public holidays. It is disgraceful that the borough has not explained to the public why this rationale does not apply when there is no business traffic at all. My parking fine was for August Bank Holiday Monday and the council said that it was valid.
You may also want to watch:
DEREK TAYLOR (OBE)
Mountview Close, NW11
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 7 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 8 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 9 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband