85 per cent back new tax on Chelsea tractors, Alliance claims
A Highgate-based organisation opposed to Chelsea tractors has set up a petition opposing Porsche s legal challenge to a new tax. The Alliance Against Urban 4x4s has teamed up with Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace after the German car manufacturer too
A Highgate-based organisation opposed to 'Chelsea tractors' has set up a petition opposing Porsche's legal challenge to a new tax.
The Alliance Against Urban 4x4s has teamed up with Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace after the German car manufacturer took up a legal challenge against the mayor's new CO2 congestion charge for the worst polluting vehicles.
Blake Ludwig, director of the alliance, said: "Even with all of Porsche's sabre rattling, we know that charging the most polluting cars a higher congestion charge is very popular with the public.
"When we started campaigning for this measure in 2005, we asked 5,400 shoppers in central London their opinion and 85 per cent agreed with the idea.
You may also want to watch:
"With this new congestion charge helping to change people's buying habits, the pressure is now on manufacturers to produce and advertise cleaner cars for their UK customers.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers