72 firefighters tackle huge blaze in Belsize Park
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Ten fire engines and 72 firefighters were engaged in tackling a serious house fire in Belsize Park this morning.
Neighbours were evacuated in the early hours as flames spread to the adjoining property via a stairwell.
The brigade was called to the house in Antrim Grove at 2,49am and the fire was under control by 8.29am with crews from Edmonton, Kentish Town, West Hampstead, Hornsey, Soho, Hendon and Paddington fire stations attending the scene.
The fire brigade said that no one was in the property at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.
The blaze caused extensive damage to the entire second floor and roof of the house, as well as half the ground floor and first floor.
You may also want to watch:
Station Manager Winston Douglas, who attended the scene, said: “Fire crews have worked really hard to stop fire spreading even further into adjacent properties. Crews installed a fire curtain in the adjoining property. This is a unique situation as they are usually used in theatres and shopping centres to stop fire spreading.”
Roads were closed in the area and motorists were advised to avoid Haverstock Hill,which was closed between Park Hill Road and Belsize Grove. Access to England’s Lane was also restricted.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
Fire crew were still damping down the fire at noon.
The cause of the fire is not yet known.