72 firefighters tackle huge blaze in Belsize Park
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Ten fire engines and 72 firefighters were engaged in tackling a serious house fire in Belsize Park this morning.
Neighbours were evacuated in the early hours as flames spread to the adjoining property via a stairwell.
The brigade was called to the house in Antrim Grove at 2,49am and the fire was under control by 8.29am with crews from Edmonton, Kentish Town, West Hampstead, Hornsey, Soho, Hendon and Paddington fire stations attending the scene.
The fire brigade said that no one was in the property at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.
The blaze caused extensive damage to the entire second floor and roof of the house, as well as half the ground floor and first floor.
You may also want to watch:
Station Manager Winston Douglas, who attended the scene, said: “Fire crews have worked really hard to stop fire spreading even further into adjacent properties. Crews installed a fire curtain in the adjoining property. This is a unique situation as they are usually used in theatres and shopping centres to stop fire spreading.”
Roads were closed in the area and motorists were advised to avoid Haverstock Hill,which was closed between Park Hill Road and Belsize Grove. Access to England’s Lane was also restricted.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
Fire crew were still damping down the fire at noon.
The cause of the fire is not yet known.