Plans for 5G pole in Muswell Hill return to Barnet Council
- Credit: Google
Plans for a 5G mast in Muswell Hill are back.
Three, the UK’s 5G network provider, has submitted proposals to Barnet Council for a 15m pole opposite 129 Colney Hatch Lane, which is next to the AMG Costa takeaway.
The new application follows the town hall rejecting plans for a larger 20m mast in the same location by the same company in August, amid a local campaign and petition to refuse the scheme.
The council previously deemed the pole an “unduly prominent and visually obtrusive feature” that would “restrict pedestrian movement to the detriment of the highway and pedestrian safety”.
The new proposals are designed to improve internet connection speeds but objections lodged on the council's website claim the pole and its surrounding equipment cabinets will clutter the street and harm the safety of pedestrians, including disabled people.
A spokesperson for Three said: “Access to 5G has a vital role to play in boosting local economies, helping residents and businesses get faster and more reliable network coverage. This site will be critical to making that happen.
You may also want to watch:
“While we try to keep mast sites as unobtrusive as possible, they do need to be situated near to where people will be using the service and, in many cases, in precise locations to ensure the widest breadth of coverage.”
The public can comment on the application using Barnet’s planning portal until April 22 – reference number 21/1446/PNT.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 3 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 4 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 5 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 6 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 7 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 8 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 9 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 10 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green