£2million of 'public good' cash stashed away in Camden coffers
ALMOST £2million given by developers for the public good is sitting in Camden Council s coffers. Collected under section 106 of the 1991 Planning and Compensation Act, the money has not yet been allocated. Deals made under the act can involve developers b
ALMOST £2million given by developers for the public good is sitting in Camden Council's coffers.
Collected under section 106 of the 1991 Planning and Compensation Act, the money has not yet been allocated.
Deals made under the act can involve developers building social housing, helping education or improving transport links to offset the effects of their development.
The unspent money includes £120,000 from the developers of the ABC cinema site in Pond Street, Hampstead.
You may also want to watch:
The discovery echoes a similar situation in 2006 when the Labour council was found to have £3million of unspent Section 106 money.
But Camden's equalities and community cevelopment boss, Tory councillor Andrew Marshall, said: "A lot of this is to do with timing. This has been kicked around before and I don't think it's the big issue some people think it is. As a development goes up, the money gets released. The reason why the timescale with the money is quite long is because it is broadly linked with the timescale of the development.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
"I'm comfortable we have a good process for making sure the money goes to the places it's supposed to.