A man was rushed to hospital after a blaze broke out in a retirement home in the early hours of the morning.

Around 25 firefighters were called to the block in Elthorne Road, Archway, just before 3am today (April 8).

A man was rushed to hospital by London Ambulance Service, and a woman was assessed at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Half of a flat on the first floor of the building was damaged in the blaze.

London Fire Brigade said the fire was accidental and that it is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in a cooker.

Four fire engines responded to the incident, and the fire was extinguished by 4.30am.

Crews from Holloway, Kentish Town and Hornsey fire stations all attended the scene.