A candle safety warning has been issued after part of a house was destroyed in a blaze.

Firefighters were called to a mid-terraced house in Russell Place, Belsize Park, at 9.38pm on Friday (March 8).

One woman left the house before the firefighters arrived. She was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service.

Four engines and around 25 firefighters from Euston, West Hampstead and Holloway stations tackled the blaze, which was under control at 10.57pm. 

London Fire Brigade said part of the ground floor of the house was destroyed.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a candle.  

A fire brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch alight.

“Consider using battery-powered, flameless LED candles instead, which are safe even if you fall asleep.

"Whilst they may cost more upfront than traditional candles, they will last considerably longer, giving you better value for money."  

They said those who do choose to use traditional candles must ensure they are placed  in a heat-resistant holder, on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over and away from materials that could catch fire.

"Never leave them unattended around your home, take particular care with children and pets and blow them out properly before you go to bed," they added.