Firefighters rushed to extinguish a blaze in Highgate caused by a candle in the early hours of the morning.

Crews were called to Shepherds Hill just before 4.30am yesterday morning (December 10).

One woman was rushed to hospital and another was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service.

Firefighters from Hornsey, Holloway and Kentish Town stations attended the scene, battling the fire for almost two hours.

The incident was declared under control by 6.15am.

Part of a five-room flat on the first floor of the building was damaged by flames.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a candle.

LFB have now issued a warning about the dangers of candles in the run-up to Christmas.

A spokesperson said: “Keep candles well away from any Christmas decorations.

“Decorations can easily fuel a fire and as Christmas trees dry out, they can burn quickly and cause flames to spread in seconds. 

“Consider using battery-powered, flameless LED candles instead, which are safe even if you fall asleep.

“Whilst they may cost more upfront than traditional candles, they will last considerably longer, giving you better value for money. 

“If you do choose to use traditional candles ensure you place them in a heat-resistant holder, on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over and away from materials that could catch fire.

“Never leave them unattended around your home, take particular care with children and pets and blow them out properly before you go to bed.”