A candle is believed to have sparked a blaze that damaged part of a flat in a converted house.

London Fire Brigade was called to Oak Grove in Cricklewood at 9.58pm last night (November 23).

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters rushed to the scene, where ten people had left the building before crews arrived.

There were no reports of any injuries.

Part of a first-floor flat, in a three-storey semi-detached house that had been converted info flats, was damaged.

The fire was under control by 10.30pm.

It is believed to have been accidental and caused by a candle.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.

“You should also ensure they are in a heat-resistant holder and placed on a stable surface so they won’t be knocked over.

“Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home."

Crews from West Hampstead, Willesden and Paddington fire stations attended the scene.