A candle is believed to have started a fire that damaged a flat in a seven-storey block.

Five fire engines and around 30 crew were scrambled to Jerome Crescent in St John’s Wood at 8.38pm on Sunday (November 5).

Sixteen people left the building before the London Fire Brigade arrived.

One woman was assessed by paramedics at the scene.

The brigade's 999 control officers received 20 calls about the fire, which was under control by 10pm.

Half of a two-room flat on the first floor of a seven-storey block was damaged, the brigade said.

The blaze is believed to have been accidental and caused by a candle.  

A spokesperson said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire.

"It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire. 

“You should also ensure they are in a heat-resistant holder and placed on a stable surface so they won’t be knocked over. 

“Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home." 

Crews from Euston, Kensington, North Kensington and West Hampstead fire stations attended the scene.