A woman who claims she was bitten in a racist attack on the Tube has hit out at how an off-duty police officer on the train handled the incident.

Selma Taha told BBC News that she was bitten and had clumps of her hair ripped out by a woman on a Northern line train travelling from Camden Town to King’s Cross last Friday (September 29).

Ms Taha, director of women’s organisation Southall Black Sisters, claims the woman used racist language towards her and two friends before violence flared.

The woman allegedly called the trio “slaves” and said that she “doesn’t like black women”, before making monkey noises.

Ms Taha said the dispute began when they asked the woman to move a suitcase she had pushed towards them.

British Transport Police have confirmed that they received a report of the incident at around 11.30pm on Friday evening.

A spokesperson for the force said an off-duty officer from the Metropolitan Police intervened and escorted the passengers off the train at King’s Cross station.

But Ms Taha has claimed that the officer did not immediately identify himself or intervene, despite being sat near the alleged attacker.

She also alleged he had shouted at her friend to take her hands off the woman attacking them - "validating" her behaviour and making her feel "emboldened".

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police confirmed that one of their off-duty officers were present during the incident.

They added that they are making “immediate enquiries to establish the exact circumstances” of the incident, and that the officer involved is being provided with welfare support.

It has been confirmed that a complaint was made to the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards and that the matter has been referred to the Independent Office of Police Conduct.

Ms Taha told BBC News that she confronted the officer about his alleged inaction on the platform.

She said: "I was livid, I was furious at him. I was screaming at him and swearing, saying – 'You let this happen... it's because of you I was attacked."

After BTP officers were called at King’s Cross, a 30-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of assault and a racially aggravated public order offence.

She was subsequently released on bail while police enquiries into the incident continue.

Anyone who witnessed what happened and hasn’t already spoken to police is asked to contact BTP by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 6 of 30 September.