Firefighters tackling a blaze that destroyed an outbuilding and damaged a house had to stop themselves getting electric shocks from solar panels on the roof.

Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called out to the blaze in Garth Road, Cricklewood at 1.17pm yesterday (September 7) to tackle a house fire.

But crews had to stop electrical currents from solar panels on the roof travelling down water jets and hoses, injuring firefighters and damaging equipment.

Station Commander Steve Pringle, who was at the scene, said firefighters used a 32-metre turntable ladder to deploy PV Stop - a product that makes solar panels safe - so they could put out the flames.

The fire was under control by 3.07pm.

A small part of the ground floor and the roof of the house was damaged, and a detached outbuilding destroyed.

There were no reports of any injuries, the London Fire Brigade said.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by an extension lead overheating.