The parents of a student who was hit by a train have accused police of failing to properly investigate his death.

Connor Marron, 19, was discovered on tracks near Hornsey station in the early hours of January 2, 2022, after attending the PDC World Darts Championship at Alexandra Palace with a friend.

According to British Transport Police (BTP), it launched an internal review into the handling of the case and has made changes that it recommended.

An inquest into Connor's death at North London Coroner's Court last year recorded an open verdict, stating that the cause of the incident could not be determined.

But Connor's parents, Sharon Doherty and Fergal Marron, have now told BBC that they have concerns about the speed at which BTP officers declared their son's death an accident.

Mr Marron said: "As far as we're concerned, we got no investigation into Connor's death."

The inquest revealed that Connor had been drinking with a friend on the day of the incident.

As he left the darts final, he realised he had lost his phone and left his friend to find it.

He was reported missing approximately an hour after leaving his friend.

Connor had been hit by an empty stock train traveling at 48mph just north of the station.

The exact chain of events leading to the collision remains unknown, as CCTV footage did not provide any insights into the final hour of Connor's life.

The inquest suggested that Connor may have crossed the New River and a gap in a railway fence before attempting to cross the tracks. He was wet from the waist down and not wearing shoes.

Connor's parents later raised a series of complaints with BTP, prompting a senior officer to conduct a review of the case in May 2022.

Mr Marron said: "Connor's body was taken off that track at ten past two in the morning in darkness.

"We just would've thought that the first thing they would have done was that police officers would have went back where Connor was found, but police officers never went back."

The BBC said that they had seen the conclusions of the BTP review into Connor's case, and that the force acknowledged there was no visit to the site at the "earliest opportunity" in the days after Connor's death.

The review states that officers from the BTP's disruption team carried out a "post-fatality site visit on 3 January 2022 during a disruption and reassurance patrol".

Connor's family also questioned why he left a well-lit path to cross a waterway and climb up a bank to the tracks, suspecting that he may have been fleeing a mugging or confrontation.

The review conducted by BTP acknowledged a lack of professional curiosity and inefficient practices within the investigation but emphasised that no malicious intent was involved.

But Connor's parents have now said they dispute the findings of the review, accusing BTP of deliberately withholding information.

A BTP spokesperson expressed condolences to Connor's family, and said it commissioned an independent, internal review in May 2022 to "ensure we captured any possible learning opportunities".

The statement added the review "was led by a senior detective who was satisfied Mr Marron's death was not suspicious".

A number of recommendations for improvements were made, which BTP said have since been implemented.

They added: "These have included better recording of investigatory actions and monitoring of contact with families."