A neighbour discovered a house fire when they heard a smoke alarm after investigating when they smelled burning.

Now firefighters are warning smokers that not putting out cigarettes properly can “cost you your life”.

The quick thinking neighbour discovered the fire at the semi-detached house in Fellows Road, Primrose Hill.

The London Fire Brigade was called at 9.37pm

Five people evacuated the home before firefighters arrived.

Two, a man and a woman were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews. A further three people were assessed at the scene.

The fire was under control by 10.56pm.

The second floor of a semi-detached house was damaged in the blaze, which is believed to have been caused smoking materials not being put out safely.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade (LFB) said: “If you're a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

Four engines and 25 firefighters from Kentish Town, Euston, Soho, Paddington and Islington stations attended the scene.

The London Fire Brigade has also released smoking safety top tips:

• It's safer to smoke outside, but make sure cigarettes are put right out and disposed of properly.

• Never smoke in bed and avoid smoking on armchairs and sofas – especially if you think you might fall asleep.

• Take extra care when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs or if you’ve been drinking alcohol.

• Use proper ashtrays, which can’t tip over and stub cigarettes out properly.