An aspiring lawyer was stabbed to death in a “gang-style” attack in a case of mistaken identity after a trip to Waitrose, a court has heard.

Sven Badzak, 22, was stabbed to death in Willesden Lane, Kilburn, on February 6, 2021 while buying orange juice for his mum.

Sven and a friend, who 16 years old at the time, were targeted by a group of six youths as they walked along "wholly unaware" of what was about to take place.

Sven, who lived both at his mother's home in Maida Vale, and his grandmother's home in West Hampstead, was repeatedly stabbed after falling to the ground.

His friend suffered multiple stab injuries but managed to run into a nearby supermarket for help.

Rashid Gedel, 22, from Ilford, and Shiroh Ambersley, 22, from Wembley, are on trial at the Old Bailey accused of murder, attempted murder and an alternative charge of wounding with intent.

Opening their trial on June 7, Anthony Orchard KC said the two victims had been walking along Willesden Lane where they were subject 
to “what appears to have been a gang-style attack”.

“Neither victim was a gang member or associate. It appears they were the unfortunate victims of mistaken identity.”

Ham & High: Sven Badzak with his mother Jasna BadzakSven Badzak with his mother Jasna Badzak (Image: Jasna Badzak)

Eight minutes before the attack, Gedel and Ambersley had allegedly gone to a bakery looking for other young people to attack.

Gedel was caught on CCTV “inspecting” two hooded youths at the counter before walking out of the shop, Mr Orchard said.

Meanwhile, the two victims had been to the Waitrose in Finchley Road, about a half a mile away.

As they walked back, the 16-year-old was watching a Liverpool football game on his phone and both unaware of what was about to happen.

Mr Orchard said: “As the two friends walked west on Willesden Lane, Gedel drew closer to them. 

"Sven Badzak and his friend were wholly unaware of what was about to happen.”

At 5.37pm, Sven and his friend crossed paths with their attackers in Willesden Lane, jurors heard.

Jurors were shown CCTV footage of the pair walking together “minding their own business” and unaware of the group behind gaining on them.

According to the survivor, three males came up to them and said: “What are you on?”

Sven was then stabbed in the chest while his friend was stabbed in the back but managed to run off pursued by some of the attackers, it was claimed.

Ham & High: Sven Badzak during Boris Johnson's Mayoral campaign in 2008 Sven Badzak during Boris Johnson's Mayoral campaign in 2008 (Image: Jasna Badzak)

As Sven ran away, he dropped his Waitrose shopping bag and collapsed outside a burger restaurant, the court heard.

Mr Orchard said: “His attackers catch up with him on the ground. It appears he was kicked and punched.

“During the totality of the attack, he was stabbed four times. His phone fell to the ground. 

"No attacker attempted to retrieve it. At least one of those attacking him shouted out.

The attack on Sven Badzak lasts no more than 20 seconds.”

The 16-year-old sprinted into a Tesco supermarket where he sought help and collapsed.

The attackers “gave up the chase” and fled the scene, jurors were told.

Ham & High: Sven Badzak was on his way home from buying his mum orange juice when he was fatally stabbedSven Badzak was on his way home from buying his mum orange juice when he was fatally stabbed (Image: Jasna Badzak)

Mr Orchard said Gedel and Ambersley had been identified from CCTV at the scene.

He said Gedel was also implicated by mobile phone evidence and “boasts” on social media afterwards.

Mr Orchard said two other alleged members of the group were not in the dock.

Harvey Canavan, 19, from Maida Vale, had pleaded guilty to manslaughter and unlawful wounding and Lior Agbayan had fled abroad, the jury was told.

The remaining two suspects have not been identified, the court heard.
Gedel and Ambersley have denied the charges against them.

The Old Bailey trial continues.

Additional reporting by PA