Police hope to revoke the licence of a pan-Asian sushi house which remains temporarily closed after it was set alight and staff were reportedly threatened with knives.

Monak, located in Abbey Road, has remained closed since the evening of April 28 after armed males, said to be wearing balaclavas, fled the scene during the blaze.

Metropolitan Police says that a “number of males” entered the venue at 10.30pm before threatening staff with knives and starting a fire.

A spokesperson said: “The males made off prior to the arrival of police. The fire was extinguished and there were no reported injuries.”

The force put forward an application on Wednesday (June 14) to Westminster Council to review the licence of the restaurant, citing two violent incidents at the venue.

Ham & High: A notice put up at the Monak restaurant in Abbey RoadA notice put up at the Monak restaurant in Abbey Road (Image: Submission)

In the application, it references an incident on May 12, 2022, where shots were reportedly fired at the restaurant at 11.20pm.

The document states: “Witnesses stated that suspects were seen running to their cars and driving off at speed, having discharged shots at the front of the premises. At no time did the suspects enter the venue.”

Police have said that shotgun pellets were found on the floor next to the damaged front door.

It was said CCTV showed customers running to the back of the restaurant out of fear.

The application states: “The motive remained unknown for the shooting, but it was believed that a group of customers who had not booked a table but arrived to have dinner, were connected in some way to the shooting.”

The Ham&High previously reported about the fire on April 28, where six males reportedly attended with “large machetes”.

Ham & High: Monak the moment it was on fireMonak the moment it was on fire (Image: Screengrab from video by @HelenFemix)

According to the document, they had “what is described as Molotov  cocktails” and firebombed the venue before running off.

There were no reported injuries but half of the ground floor of the restaurant was damaged, London Fire Brigade originally said.

However police have claimed in their submission that one person was taken to hospital with what is described as “shrapnel injuries”.

Metropolitan Police have said that when officers asked the public licence holder how they can be sure that customers are safe in the venue if it reopened, the holder responded “you are right”.

Monak has announced online it is temporarily closed for “internal works”.

A message to customers reads: “Thank you to all our customers, colleagues and friends for your ongoing support.

“We will be back and running soon! So, connect with us via our social media platforms to stay updated for our reopening date.”

Following the attack, Monak apologised to customers who witnessed the “traumatic event”.

The statement read: “We wanted to take a moment to address our customers who were present during the fire.

“We are sorry that you had to witness this traumatic event, but we are grateful for your safety and co-operation during the evacuation.

“We are determined to rebuild our restaurant and continue to provide the food and experience that we know you love.

“Thank you for continuing to support us during this difficult time, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.”

Anyone wishing to make a representation about the review is asked to contact the licensing team before July 11.

This should be made into writing with the reference number 23/04009/LIREVP and sent to Licensing Team, Westminster City Council, 15th Floor West, 64 Victoria Street, SW1P 6QP.

Alternatively contact licensing@westminster.gov.uk.

Monak has been contacted for comment.