A pensioner hit by a suspect car during a police pursuit near a major London station was unlawfully killed, an inquest has found. 

Ronald McArthur, 74, died of his injuries after the crash near York Way in King’s Cross at around 5.30pm on April 2, 2019. 

A marked police car and van tried to stop a Kia Stinger car suspected of being used in a robbery. 

The car did not stop so was followed by the marked van and an unmarked police car, the inquest at Bow Coroner’s Court heard. 

The driver of the Kia overshot a turning into Copenhagen Street and collided with a traffic light post as well as Mr McArthur, who was walking on the footpath. 

Officers performed first aid and Mr McArthur was taken to hospital, where he died the following day. 

The criminal investigation into the suspected robbery was later dropped, and the Metropolitan Police officers involved in the pursuit have been cleared of any wrongdoing. 

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said they found no indication that any officers involved behaved in a way that would justify the bringing of disciplinary proceedings or had committed a criminal offence. 

IOPC regional director Amanda Rowe said: “Our thoughts are with the family and loved ones of Mr McArthur as well as all those affected by this deeply distressing incident. 

“Our investigation was thorough and carried out independently of the police. We found the actions of the officers, who were suitably trained and in an appropriate vehicle, were in line with their training and relevant policies and their decision to follow the driver of the vehicle was reasonable in the circumstances.” 

The IOPC’s investigation looked at one officer who was response-trained but not pursuit-trained. 

The investigation found that his driving could have been interpreted as a pursuit, rather than a ‘follow’ of the Kia, but that this part of the incident was extremely brief and there was insufficient evidence upon which a reasonable tribunal properly directed could find misconduct. 

On May 24 a jury inquest at Bow Coroner’s Court concluded that Mr McArthur was unlawfully killed.