A Camden man has been named as the motorcyclist killed in a crash after a police chase.

Rayhan Miah, 30, and formerly known as Alamin Kazi, died after the motorcycle he was on hit a kerb before crashing into railings near the junction of Commercial Road and Burdett Road, Limehouse, at around 2.20am on March 20.

Police were pursuing the bike after it failed to stop.

Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) officers gave first aid but Mr Miah died at the scene.

A post-mortem examination was held on March 22 and an inquest has been formally opened and adjourned.

MOST READ: Designer clothing fraudster bought historic Hampstead house

A 29-year-old man who was also on the motorbike sustained serious injuries and was taken to hospital.

Mr Miah's death is being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

The incident was mandatorily referred by the Metropolitan Police Service because police had been involved before the crash.

The police watchdog sent investigators to the scene on the morning of the crash and followed the force's post-incident procedures.

Officers have been gathering evidence, including statements from officers as well as body-worn video, dashcam and CCTV footage from the area.

An IOPC spokesperson said: "All police officers are being treated as witnesses at this stage.

"We can confirm that shortly before the crash, MPS officers activated their vehicle’s warning equipment after the driver of the motorbike failed to stop for police.

"Officers briefly pursued the motorbike and it crashed a short time later."

IOPC regional director Amanda Rowe said: “This was a tragic incident in which a young man has sadly lost his life.

“Given a person has died following an incident involving a police pursuit, it’s important that an independent investigation is carried out to look at the actions and decision-making of the officers involved.

“We have been in contact with Mr Miah’s family to explain our role and our thoughts are with them, his loved ones and all those affected by his death.”