20mph speed limit approved for Hampstead 'racetrack'
RESIDENTS are delighted a Hampstead Road which has been labelled a racetrack is finally set for some peace and quiet with the introduction of a 20mph speed limit. Camden Council rubber stamped proposals on Tuesday night to install a 20mph speed limit on
RESIDENTS are delighted a Hampstead Road which has been labelled a "racetrack" is finally set for some peace and quiet with the introduction of a 20mph speed limit.
Camden Council rubber stamped proposals on Tuesday night to install a 20mph speed limit on Fitzjohn's Avenue as well as the introduction of five school bus bays.
But motorists are furious at the proposals and have branded the speed limit just another money-making exercise.
Fitzjohn's Avenue resident Mayer Hillman said: "This is a very good step forward. The number of accidents on the road is awful and there are a lot of casualties which is terrible."
You may also want to watch:
There have been 21 accidents on the road in the three year period up to 2009 and in July 2007 a vehicle was clocked driving past a standard speed camera at 159mph in the dead of night at 2.30am, and another offender was clocked at 155mph just eight days later.
Residents have been campaigning for a lower speed limit for years. Fitzjohn's Avenue Residents Association chairman Farokh Khorooshi said: "There has been great public support for these proposals and I am extremely pleased it has been approved.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'