20mph speed limit approved for Hampstead 'racetrack'
RESIDENTS are delighted a Hampstead Road which has been labelled a racetrack is finally set for some peace and quiet with the introduction of a 20mph speed limit. Camden Council rubber stamped proposals on Tuesday night to install a 20mph speed limit on
RESIDENTS are delighted a Hampstead Road which has been labelled a "racetrack" is finally set for some peace and quiet with the introduction of a 20mph speed limit.
Camden Council rubber stamped proposals on Tuesday night to install a 20mph speed limit on Fitzjohn's Avenue as well as the introduction of five school bus bays.
But motorists are furious at the proposals and have branded the speed limit just another money-making exercise.
Fitzjohn's Avenue resident Mayer Hillman said: "This is a very good step forward. The number of accidents on the road is awful and there are a lot of casualties which is terrible."
There have been 21 accidents on the road in the three year period up to 2009 and in July 2007 a vehicle was clocked driving past a standard speed camera at 159mph in the dead of night at 2.30am, and another offender was clocked at 155mph just eight days later.
Residents have been campaigning for a lower speed limit for years. Fitzjohn's Avenue Residents Association chairman Farokh Khorooshi said: "There has been great public support for these proposals and I am extremely pleased it has been approved.
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 3 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 7 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 8 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 9 Autistic TV presenter joins Hampstead pupils for 'most wonderful day'
- 10 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests