19 year old volunteer spends 3 months in Nicaragua
- Credit: Archant
A 19 year old from Camden has spent 12 weeks volunteering in one of the poorest communities in Nicaragua.
Kira Burgard worked on a project where she helped improve access to safe water and sanitation.
Ms Burgard fully immersed herself into the central American country, living with a local family.
Ms Burgard was there as part of the government backed international citizen service’s (ICS) programme, and encourages youngsters to take the plunge and help end poverty in some of the most disadvantaged countries in the world.
She said: “The part of the project that I spent the most time on was training a youth entrepreneur in business skills and promoting the improved sanitation technologies that he was building.
You may also want to watch:
“Through this experience I have acquired innumerable skills, knowledge and inspiration that I hope to use for future volunteering opportunities and to set up my own projects.
Now she is back home, Ms Burgard will be taking on an ‘Action at Home’ project, ensuring that her new skills also benefit her local community.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 4 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 6 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
- 9 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds