19 year old volunteer spends 3 months in Nicaragua
- Credit: Archant
A 19 year old from Camden has spent 12 weeks volunteering in one of the poorest communities in Nicaragua.
Kira Burgard worked on a project where she helped improve access to safe water and sanitation.
Ms Burgard fully immersed herself into the central American country, living with a local family.
Ms Burgard was there as part of the government backed international citizen service’s (ICS) programme, and encourages youngsters to take the plunge and help end poverty in some of the most disadvantaged countries in the world.
She said: “The part of the project that I spent the most time on was training a youth entrepreneur in business skills and promoting the improved sanitation technologies that he was building.
You may also want to watch:
“Through this experience I have acquired innumerable skills, knowledge and inspiration that I hope to use for future volunteering opportunities and to set up my own projects.
Now she is back home, Ms Burgard will be taking on an ‘Action at Home’ project, ensuring that her new skills also benefit her local community.
- 1 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 2 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 8 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath