19 year old volunteer spends 3 months in Nicaragua
- Credit: Archant
A 19 year old from Camden has spent 12 weeks volunteering in one of the poorest communities in Nicaragua.
Kira Burgard worked on a project where she helped improve access to safe water and sanitation.
Ms Burgard fully immersed herself into the central American country, living with a local family.
Ms Burgard was there as part of the government backed international citizen service’s (ICS) programme, and encourages youngsters to take the plunge and help end poverty in some of the most disadvantaged countries in the world.
She said: “The part of the project that I spent the most time on was training a youth entrepreneur in business skills and promoting the improved sanitation technologies that he was building.
You may also want to watch:
“Through this experience I have acquired innumerable skills, knowledge and inspiration that I hope to use for future volunteering opportunities and to set up my own projects.
Now she is back home, Ms Burgard will be taking on an ‘Action at Home’ project, ensuring that her new skills also benefit her local community.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'