Firefighters battle through the night to tackle blaze in West Hampstead mansion block
- Credit: PA
Around 100 firefighters spent hours tackling a blaze overnight at a mansion block in West Hampstead.
50 people were evacuated from the block in Inglewood Road, while two others on the first floor left the building with assistance from crews after concerns about the stability of the roof.
The blaze could be seen across London as it burned through the night. According to the London Fire Brigade, they were called at 1.05am and the fire was under control by 5.01am. 15 fire engines were at the scene.
Around 50 residents used the Black Lion pub as a rest centre.
No-one needed hospital treatment after the fire, London Ambulance Service said.
You may also want to watch:
Station Manager Claiton Murray said: “Due to concerns that the roof could collapse inward, firefighters evacuated residents from the top floor.
“In addition fire crews assisted two people from the first floor and a number of other residents self evacuated from lower floors.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 8 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
“The fire is also affecting the roof and in the early stages was very visible for miles around.”
The fire is believed to have started in a flat on the fourth floor.
Fire crews on site have confirmed the blaze is now out. They are in the process of damping down and salvaging possessions. Robert Scrivener, press liaison officer for London Fire Brigade, confirmed there is “quite a lot” of water damage.
In photos this newspaper has seen, the top floor was gutted by the blaze last night.
The LFB was also stretched last night with fires in Dagenham and Heathrow.
Crews from Chingford and Fulham tackled the fire at Welbeck Mansions, just behind West Hampstead fire station.
Were you at the block on Inglewood Road, or have you been affected by it? Contact the newsdesk on 020 7433 0110 or firstname.lastname@example.org