10 things you might not know about Lauderdale House in Highgate
Lauderdale House is running a crowdfunding appeal to raise £125,000 to secure its future. Here are 10 things you might not know about this treasured historic property in Highgate.
1. The house was originally two small houses which Sir Richard Martin joined together.
2. The Victorians nearly pulled the house down but it was saved by William Morris in 1893.
3. When fire took hold of the house in 1963, the lived-in park-keeper and his family were saved by their dog alerting them.
4. It’s rumoured that there was a secret passage from the cellars in Lauderdale to the Ghanaian embassy once upon a time.
You may also want to watch:
5. 65,000 people cross the threshold every year.
6. Actresses Maureen Lipman and Sheridan Smith and Strictly Come Dancing judge Craig Revel Horwood have all been spotted in Lauderdale’s Cabaret in the House audiences.
7. There’s a well under the floor in front of the café counter.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
8. The Long Gallery was privileged to host Alexander Litvinenko’s memorial after his burial in Highgate Cemetery.
9. Nell Gywnn gave birth to her two sons by King Charles II at Lauderdale. She was sent here to take advantage of the clean air as opposed to the stench of central London.
10. Samuel Pepys visited Lord Lauderdale for dinner and his scathing report of the violin playing is in his diary.