1,000 bikers set to take part in protest against parking charge
As Residents of Westminster we felt compelled to write, after seeing a Press Release from Westminster City Council about their Motorcycle Parking Charging scheme, which is currently on trial, and due to be discussed at a Council Meeting next Tuesday. Th
As Residents of Westminster we felt compelled to write, after seeing a Press Release from Westminster City Council about their Motorcycle Parking Charging scheme, which is currently on trial, and due to be discussed at a Council Meeting next Tuesday.
The press Release seems to express surprise that very few Residents have objected to the scheme, but that many Objections come from outside Westminster / London.
Although Councillor Chalkley goes on to (quite rightly) say that views from outside Westminster will carry equal weight, I'm sure he realises from the Council's own parking surveys, etc. that most motorcycles belong to commuters from outside Westminster / London, using about the only remaining form of powered transport that is affordable, cuts congestion, reduces CO2 emissions and is suitable for commuting from outside London, and which ought to be encouraged rather than discouraged with this extra tax.
However, we were somewhat surprised to see the statement that only 153 objections were received from Residents, when we know that at least 100 Residents signed up to a Petition objecting to the scheme - so it would appear that Westminster Council are not even bothering to take into account those 100 views, never mind the other 300 who signed the Petition, which was presented at a Full Council Meeting! Is this Westminster Council's own form of democracy in action!?
Perhaps Councillor Chalkley would like to advise how many official letters in support of this scheme he has received, or whether there has ever been a bigger protest to a Council scheme?
We will be there at the 31st March Council Meeting, to see if this unfair tax, which has (according to Westminster's own figures) raised OVER �2.5 Million from motorcyclists in only 7 months, will be abolished, or not.
- 1 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 2 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 6 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 7 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 8 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 9 The most expensive homes sold in Camden in November 2021
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
A protest has also been organised for the day, with well over 1,000 expected to attend - including moped riders, scooter riders and motorcyslists from within Westminster, from within London and from outside London, along with many others who feel this is an unfair tax. See www.31st-March.com for details, and why not come along and add your support, if you, too, think this is unfair.
Martin & Soon Han Johnson, Westminster Residents