Yours for under £1 million: a Modernist maisonette overlooking Highgate Cemetery
- Credit: The Modern House
A three storey modernist home on the 1970s Whittington Estate is up for sale for fans of Brutalism
A maisonette designed by one of Camden’s most renowned architects is on the market for under £1 million with views of Highgate Cemetery.
Peter Tabori’s Stoneleigh Terrace was built in the mid-1970s during the heyday of social housing construction in the Brutalist style so typical of Camden’s chief architect Sydney Cook and his team led by Neave Brown.
Peter Tabori moved from Hungary in 1942 to London where he worked for Modernist architects Ernö Goldfinger and Denys Lasdun. He went on to work under Cook who was so impressed with the young architect that he was allowed to develop his Regent Street Polytechnic diploma project on Highgate New Town into fruition.
The Whittington Estate is made up of six stepped terraces with balconies, cornices and vegetation, not dissimilar to the Rowley Way estate in St John’s Wood and Oakshott Court in Somers Town.
You may also want to watch:
The three bedroom maisonette covers three storeys and offers 1,200 sq ft of living space. The stepped nature of the estate provides for an abundance of natural light, which can best be made use of from the balconies on every level.
The interior of the three bedroom home has been refurbished by David Kohn and includes a south-facing reception room with French doors to a balcony, a kitchen with views of the cemetery, and space at the top of the house spanning the whole top floor.
- 1 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 2 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 8 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 9 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 10 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
The home comes with a £7,000 disclaimer for outstanding works being carried out by Camden Council, which have already been undertaken in the apartment.
The home is found between Highgate Village and Dartmouth Park, with the amenities of both within easy reach and Archway tube station just a short walk.
Stoneleigh Terrace, N19 is on the market for £825,000 with The Modern House.