Yours for under £1 million: a Modernist maisonette overlooking Highgate Cemetery
- Credit: The Modern House
A three storey modernist home on the 1970s Whittington Estate is up for sale for fans of Brutalism
A maisonette designed by one of Camden’s most renowned architects is on the market for under £1 million with views of Highgate Cemetery.
Peter Tabori’s Stoneleigh Terrace was built in the mid-1970s during the heyday of social housing construction in the Brutalist style so typical of Camden’s chief architect Sydney Cook and his team led by Neave Brown.
Peter Tabori moved from Hungary in 1942 to London where he worked for Modernist architects Ernö Goldfinger and Denys Lasdun. He went on to work under Cook who was so impressed with the young architect that he was allowed to develop his Regent Street Polytechnic diploma project on Highgate New Town into fruition.
The Whittington Estate is made up of six stepped terraces with balconies, cornices and vegetation, not dissimilar to the Rowley Way estate in St John’s Wood and Oakshott Court in Somers Town.
The three bedroom maisonette covers three storeys and offers 1,200 sq ft of living space. The stepped nature of the estate provides for an abundance of natural light, which can best be made use of from the balconies on every level.
The interior of the three bedroom home has been refurbished by David Kohn and includes a south-facing reception room with French doors to a balcony, a kitchen with views of the cemetery, and space at the top of the house spanning the whole top floor.
- 1 Elderly disabled woman 'racially abused' on Camden bus
- 2 Cycle lanes welcomed by riders but traders express frustration
- 3 'No one hurt' as branch crashes to ground at Hampstead Heath
- 4 Cement lorry leaks 'concrete puddle' onto Highgate road
- 5 Liz Truss backs a fully inclusive conversion therapy ban, says MP
- 6 Olivia Newton-John: From West Hampstead to worldwide fame
- 7 Campaign launched for young people anxious about A Level and GSCE results
- 8 People flouting barbecue ban in Waterlow Park
- 9 New Belsize Park falafel stand feeds customers and the homeless
- 10 Writer Salman Rushdie 'suffers stab wound to the neck' in onstage attack
The home comes with a £7,000 disclaimer for outstanding works being carried out by Camden Council, which have already been undertaken in the apartment.
The home is found between Highgate Village and Dartmouth Park, with the amenities of both within easy reach and Archway tube station just a short walk.
Stoneleigh Terrace, N19 is on the market for £825,000 with The Modern House.