Your chance to own a retro rarity in Highgate
- Credit: Archant
Rare Modernist property offered to house hunters seeking a slice of history for the first time in 40 years
A Modernist property on Highgate’s Southwood Lane is on the market for the first time since the 1970s. This rare opportunity to own a historical house in one of north London’s most sought after postcodes is one statement property hunters will be sure not to let slip through their fingers.
The three bedroom house on Southwood Lane, N6, is marketed by The Modern House and forms part of the Southwood House Estate, built between 1958 and 1962 by architects Andrews, Emerson, Sherlock & Keable.
The property is exemplary of the design of the period, with large semi-open spaces, kitsch furniture choices, teak woodwork and bold colours chosen for the décor. Storage and shelving units maintain a distinctive mid-century feel with clean straight lines in a cubic style.
The original interior features an open-tread staircase and parquet flooring in the entrance hall on the ground floor. The double height dining area has French doors to a rear garden, and the property receives extra light by way of a window reaching to the first floor. The retro property forms part of the triangle estate which has access to leafy communal gardens.
You may also want to watch:
The Modernist movement developed in the post-war period in which a more laid back approach was taken to the design and arrangement of interiors. In the mid-century the movement emphasised structural design which created space by way of open plan design, geometrically designed storage and shelving units and large windows.
The property on Southwood Lane is marketed by The Modern House for £1,250,000.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 8 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 9 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 10 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease