‘When you see your ideal home, it becomes a love affair’ advises Archway estate agent
- Credit: Archant
Malcolm Levy, the sales manager at Hotblack Desiato’s new Archway branch is a seasoned north Londoner whose ideal home is Windsor Castle.
Where do you live and with whom?
I have always lived in North or North West London. I couldn’t think of living anywhere else. I live my wife, my children and Milo the dog.
Why did you buy your current property? What’s your favourite thing about it?
It’s funny as I have recently moved as the kids are growing up and have begun to flee the nest and get their own places. People’s needs change as they move through life and I am loving living a bit further out of town. It’s not quite the countryside but I am enjoying the greenery.
You may also want to watch:
Do you prefer a fixer-upper or plush new-build?
Some of the new builds I see now are so well built with all mod cons to make living so much easier. Having said that, you can’t beat a Victorian terrace with all the original features. I don’t think that’s an easy decision, it really depends on the individual property.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
If you knew then what you know now, what would you tell yourself when you bought your current home?
Well, as I’ve only just bought it, hopefully I did it using my many years of knowledge built up by working in property! My kids often ask me for advice and I try to help them but at the end of the day, if a place is going to be home you have to love it – I really think that when you see your ideal home, it becomes a love affair.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
In 1979 my wife and I bought our first marital home. I have fond memories of raising our young children in that home. I guess if I was buying my first place now, I would be looking around Archway as it has such good transport links and the dynamics of the area are constantly changing.
What’s your dream house?
How long have you been an estate agent? What’s the worst thing you’ve seen on the job?
I’ve seen many things in my 40 or so years but I see less weird things these days – maybe we’re all becoming more sensible!
What are the most common mistakes clients make?
Not using Hotblack Desiato to sell their home!
What are your top tips for the local area?
We have only been here a week and I have discovered the best coffee in north London at Bread and Bean on Junction road. The best Italian restaurant around here is 500 at the top end of Holloway road. Pubs? Not really been to many yet but the St Johns has always been good.