Useful moving services in London
- Credit: Archant
Moving made easy with these services designed to take the stress out of the experience of moving out and moving in to a home
As much hard work as it can be, at least moving out of a property is a finite process with a clearly defined end in sight. Moving in, on the other hand, is not so simple, with the potential for tasks to drag out.
It can help to get a couple of tasks knocked on the head right away. Unless you’re moving into a completely empty shell, no matter how clean the previous residents left things, it’s always nice to know that certain areas – the insides of cupboards and the awkward corners soon to be hidden by furniture – have been given a thorough going over before you start unpacking or redecorating.
A raft of digital services have sprung up over the past few years offering domestic help at the push of a button and charged by the hour.
We plumped for Handy and opted to trial a two-hour one-off clean, to give the new place a thorough going over before we messed it up afresh. Services can be booked ahead, or fairly last minute (it recommends 10 hours as a minimum) making it easy to fit in with your own arrangements. You just enter your postcode, the desired time and date you wish to book and fill in a few basic details about anything you’d like the professional to focus on, as well as your payment details. You and your allotted cleaner can then contact each other via the app.
You may also want to watch:
Even better, when your entire life is in boxes, for £5 extra the cleaner will bring their own supplies.
If you’ve lost a regular, trusted cleaner through relocation, apps like Handy can also be a good way of finding a new one. All workers registered with the site have been vetted and verified, great if you haven’t yet tapped into the local word-of-mouth network.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 9 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 10 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
We also tried out a handyman, booked via the same system, who in two hours blitzed all the niggly, inessential jobs – hanging pictures, putting up shelves – that can linger uncompleted for months, but which really help a new property feel like a home.
Of course, these services aren’t designed specifically for home movers but their ad hoc, one-off and pre-verified nature certainly makes them well suited to the occasion.