This estate agent knows why NW3 is always in demand
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Early morning dips in the pond and strolls through the gardens at Kenwood are what makes the area incomparable for Varun J-Sharma, a negotiator at the Hampstead branch of TK International
What’s special about your agency?
Our knowledge of the local market as well as our understanding of both our vendor’s and buyer’s needs. It is this exceptional knowledge where we excel over other agents at finding the right buyers for the right properties and looking after our client’s best interests.
Where do you live and with whom?
I live in Little Venice with my cat Ruby Snowshoes (she’s black with white feet).
You may also want to watch:
Why did you buy your current property? What’s your favourite thing about it?
I actually rent the property I am living in. There are lots of things I love about my apartment but my favourite would have to be the large south facing terrace I have! It’s in the sun from about 11am right through until sunset.
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 5 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 6 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 7 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 8 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Finchley welterweight Florian Markun has opportunity to stamp his mark
If you weren’t an estate agent what would you be?
I spent 10 years launching and running nightclubs and bars in the West End. So I would more than likely have continued to do that if I hadn’t moved into property.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
I bought my first home 3 years ago. It’s a Grade II listed cottage in Ashton, Northamptonshire. It’s exactly how you would imagine a cottage in the English countryside. Think ‘The Holiday’ but with a thatched roof and wild peacocks roaming around!
What’s your dream house?
My dream home would be a modern penthouse apartment in the heart of Mayfair with a large roof deck! Alternatively it would be a villa by the beach. Somewhere hot and hidden away!
What’s the most shocking/surprising thing you’ve seen on the job?
I don’t think anything can really shock me in all the time I have been doing this. However I am surprised when I visit probate properties. It can often feel like you’re stepping back in time. It can be quite emotional.
How has the local property market changed since you started out?
The beauty of this area is that the market never really changes – the demographic remains roughly the same and other than the odd hit in market confidence you get in the build up to elections, stamp duty changes or Brexit (as with the rest of the country), prices continue to climb and NW3 continues to be in demand.
What are your top tips for the local area?
There are so many great things to do in and around Hampstead! I love visiting the animals at Golders Hill Park as well as taking a stroll in the gardens of Kenwood and Keats’ House. And of course if you’ve had a late night there’s no better way to wake yourself up then jumping into Hampstead swimming ponds.
Are you good at Monopoly?
Yes. I’m incredible!