The West Hampstead estate agent with plans for a bucolic life on the land
- Credit: Archant
Caesar Matthias, sales director of Abacus Estates enjoys the al fresco metropolitan atmosphere of his patch but could a future in a French vineyard lie in store?
What’s special about your agency?
Because we’re a small agency we’ll give you that more personal service. A lot of our team have been in the area for years. All of us have got at least five or six years’ experience, myself I’ve got 28. Our local knowledge and a more personal approach because we’re an independent.
Where do you live and with whom?
I live in Maida Vale with my wife.
You may also want to watch:
Why did you buy your current property? What’s your favourite thing about it?
Because it was the best size that we could get for the money in that area. We bought it because we love Maida Vale.
- 1 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 2 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 3 Camden disabled resident on fears over Haverstock Hill cycle lanes
- 4 Two teenagers stabbed in Kilburn and South Hampstead in separate attacks
- 5 O2 Centre redevelopment consultation opened by Camden Council
- 6 Arsenal Women enjoy victory at Villa
- 7 Thanks, traffic, Women's Day, U3A, Haverstock Hill and Covid
- 8 Thames Water under fire for Highgate tree felling
- 9 Joe Montemurro full of praise for Jordan Nobbs following Arsenal's win over Aston Villa
- 10 'Dumped and forgotten': Homeless families on life in England's Lane hostel
If you weren’t an estate agent what would you be?
Looking at my life now I think I’d make wine. Working on the land, enjoying the outside world. It’s something that I dabble in but only as I’ve got older.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
I bought my first property when I was 27. It was a two bedroom mid-terrace house in Reading.
What’s your dream house?
It’s one of the houses in Muswell Hill. It’s an Edwardian Collins built house. Quite beautiful, very period houses.
What’s the most shocking/surprising thing you’ve seen on the job?
When I worked in High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire there was an accident where a lorry smashed through the window of the estate agents whose offices were next door to ours and killed three people who worked there. If it had carried on going it would have smashed into our office too. That’s one of the most shocking things I’ve ever seen.
How has the local property market changed since you started out?
Massively. It’s become much more upmarket. It slowed down a bit over the election but in the past two or three years we’ve seen prices increase 10 to 15 per cent. As an estate agent it’s a pleasure to work in these areas.
What would you do on your dream day off?
Fly to Ibiza.
What are your favourite things about West Hampstead?
I love the al fresco lifestyle. It’s got a great community, very buzzy eating in the evenings and, of course, the transport is great.