The West Hampstead estate agent with plans for a bucolic life on the land
- Credit: Archant
Caesar Matthias, sales director of Abacus Estates enjoys the al fresco metropolitan atmosphere of his patch but could a future in a French vineyard lie in store?
What’s special about your agency?
Because we’re a small agency we’ll give you that more personal service. A lot of our team have been in the area for years. All of us have got at least five or six years’ experience, myself I’ve got 28. Our local knowledge and a more personal approach because we’re an independent.
Where do you live and with whom?
I live in Maida Vale with my wife.
You may also want to watch:
Why did you buy your current property? What’s your favourite thing about it?
Because it was the best size that we could get for the money in that area. We bought it because we love Maida Vale.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 10 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
If you weren’t an estate agent what would you be?
Looking at my life now I think I’d make wine. Working on the land, enjoying the outside world. It’s something that I dabble in but only as I’ve got older.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
I bought my first property when I was 27. It was a two bedroom mid-terrace house in Reading.
What’s your dream house?
It’s one of the houses in Muswell Hill. It’s an Edwardian Collins built house. Quite beautiful, very period houses.
What’s the most shocking/surprising thing you’ve seen on the job?
When I worked in High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire there was an accident where a lorry smashed through the window of the estate agents whose offices were next door to ours and killed three people who worked there. If it had carried on going it would have smashed into our office too. That’s one of the most shocking things I’ve ever seen.
How has the local property market changed since you started out?
Massively. It’s become much more upmarket. It slowed down a bit over the election but in the past two or three years we’ve seen prices increase 10 to 15 per cent. As an estate agent it’s a pleasure to work in these areas.
What would you do on your dream day off?
Fly to Ibiza.
What are your favourite things about West Hampstead?
I love the al fresco lifestyle. It’s got a great community, very buzzy eating in the evenings and, of course, the transport is great.