The best summer home fragrances on the market
- Credit: Archant
Bring a scent of the summer into your home with these delicious seasonal candles and diffusers.
Summer... The word alone evokes images of long, lazy days and sunshine holidays – but the signature scents of the season bring it to life even more powerfully.
Perfumiers have skilfully captured evocative aromas – from the salty tang of the sea to the heady perfume of a cottage garden, and earthy incense of morning dew – into a host of home fragrances which sum up summer.
“While winter’s all about rich and warming scents, in summer we want to bring the outside indoors and home fragrance is a such an effective way of enjoying the wonderful aromas of the garden in every room,” enthuses Laura Lee, a floral designer for home fragrance specialists, Kenneth Turner.
“Summer’s one of my favourite times of the year. There’s nothing nicer than throwing open the doors and windows so I can absorb the signature fragrances of the season: freshly-cut grass, sweet summer flowers and a rain shower on dry earth, all of which really sum up British summertime for me.”
With so many home fragrances on offer, making a choice can be bewildering, but Lee points out one way of selecting a scent is to focus on a favourite summer bloom, or single out the ingredients you’re drawn to for a personal perfume.
“Fragrance around the home gives a sense of character and individuality, and is now regarded as essential for creating atmosphere and setting a mood. Spicier summer scents include pepper and patchouli, while roses and freesia add a lighter floral note,” she says.
- 1 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 2 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 3 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 4 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 5 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 6 New Camden real-time pollution sensors show 'unhealthy' borough air
- 7 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 8 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 9 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
- 10 Chalcots: Camden Council lawsuit ran up £6m legal bill in under three years
“Relaxing lavender is a summer classic and regularly features in my wedding and outdoor displays at this time of the year. If floral notes aren’t appropriate, fruits are also popular for summer, and fragrances featuring fresh citrus mixed with tangerine, lime and pine are light, clean and refreshing.”
Here are some of our favourite summer home scents...