South Kilburn community living project gets the green light
- Credit: Archant
Architects have gained approval for a residential redevelopement project in South Kilburn that will include a new health centre
Planning permission has been granted for a mixed-use redevelopment in South Kilburn that puts community and civic design at its heart.
The unanimous decision to approve The Peel Project, designed by architects Penoyre & Prasad, was taken by Brent’s Planning Committee on February 1.
Mark Rowe, partner at Penoyre & Prasad said: “We are extremely pleased not only to have secured the permission for this ambitious high-density scheme, but to do so with such strong support for the proposals from both officers and the GLA.”
He added: “This has been achieved through a high degree of engagement from day one, working closely with the South Kilburn Regeneration team; building upon the fantastic work they have been doing in the area over recent years including their demonstrable commitment to high quality architecture.”
The project will redevelop the Peel Precinct, and will be comprised of seven new buildings, including an innovative sixteen storey tower.
42 high quality affordable homes for existing council tenants and 184 private apartments will form the residential part of the development. The terrace-like buildings with front and back gardens will restore the historic street pattern of the neighbourhood.
The redevelopment will also make way for a new public space at the heart of South Kilburn, which includes retail space and a new health centre funded by the sale of the private residences.
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 3 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 4 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 5 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 6 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 9 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 10 Hampstead to welcome boho women's lifestyle brand Free People
The civic-minded project hopes to make the neighbourhood an inviting, active and safe place and to that end will include public seating areas and a stage.
The Peel Project is part of the wider South Kilburn 15 year Regeneration Masterplan, which also includes Alison Brooks Architects’ Ely Court, nominated for this year’s Mies van der Rohe prize.
The Peel Project has a value of £68 million and is due to be completed in 2021.