Shop of the month: handmade on the hill with Tash & Tanya
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
At a time when independent retailers are under threat, Tash & Tanya is a good news story of a local business going from strength to strength without compromising on handpicked style
Proof that a pop up can become part of the furniture, Tash & Tanya started as a one-off and never left. Run by local artists Natasha Barton and Tanya Kreisky, their Muswell Hill shop has been in situ for nigh on two years and has a growing loyal fan base who love their handmade to last ehthos.
Head here for beautiful, handmade products that are built to last, made by local people and sold at a fair price. The shop made its name as ‘home of the Ally Pally cushion’ for the duos’ collaborative work based around local landmarks.
Natasha hand screen prints her designs from her photographs of local landmarks on to textiles, which Tanya then transforms into hand stitched homewares.
You may also want to watch:
What’s the look?
Bright colours, bold graphic design and intricate detailing from the design duos own pieces. Whilst they have an online presence, you need to pop in and get hands on to truly appreciate the tactile, ‘touchy feely’ nature of the products stocked here. Their fair price ethos means that everything looks good on the inside too, as both artists and shopper get the best deal possible.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
Alongside their own work, they carefully source stand out products from artisans across the UK and Europe. Heard of the hot new trend for monobrands, where makers focus on doing one or two products to a fantastically high standard? T&T are way ahead of you.
Green & Blue are a Cornish brand creating gorgeous bee bricks and bird houses for the eco conscious gardener that won’t compromise on style, whilst Playforever cars are children’s toys that are built to last, as the name suggests, forever.
They also stock a fantastic range activity kits for children, perfect for that last minute gift for the birthday party you’d forgotten about.
Who shops there?
Those in the know. Tucked away from the main broadway, the shop flies under the radar but once people discover it they’re constantly coming back for more. Long time residents love the community vibe and enjoy the opportunity to shop local. They’re also increasingly popular with the young families who move to the area who are doing up their homes and looking for the perfect finishing touches.
106A Alexandra Park Rd, London N10 2AE