Shimmering walls transform Primrose Hill garage into jewel-like home
- Credit: Archant
The glossy tiles on the outside of The Gables in Primrose Hill give the brand new conversion a petrol-black sheen, reminiscent of its previous use as a mechanics’ garage.
Now transformed into a sleek family residence by London-based architects Patalab, the site originally comprised three 1950s industrial units set between terraced housing and a railway siding.
Project architect Jordan Thompson said: “We kept the industrial theme with lots of rough exposed brickwork and timber, but we contrasted it with polished concrete and metal-framed windows.”
Inner courtyards and large skylights ensure that the space is light and airy, while clever overcladding means that the project exceeds current energy efficiency requirements.
The open-plan living space with its oak panelling and sleek surfaces is undeniably cool and a far remove from the derelict ex-industrial space that served as its foundations.
You may also want to watch:
The hard-edged project bears little resemblance to the comfortable and chaotic environments many associate with the family home but the award-winning practice have included some softer touches. The sunken seating area, with plumped grey cushions is inviting, and the family moved in recently so are sure to be making their mark.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Golders Green care home staff set for strike action