See inside one of Highate’s oldest houses
- Credit: Archant
Sitting on a medieval route from Highgate to Muswell Hill, this house on Southwood Lane dates from the year of the Great Fire of London.
Built in 1666the four-bedroom house dates from a time when City gentlemen were first building smart residences in the hilltop area, in part to escape the Plague, which decimated the city’s population the year before.
In 1666 King Charles II and Samuel Pepys were both in Highgate visiting Lauderdale House where the king’s mistress, the actress Nell Gwynn, lived for a period.
“We very rarely see properties this old,” said Philip Green, director of Goldschmidt & Howland who are marketing the property.
“I didn’t even know there were houses that old in Highgate. Rarely does a property of this age in this part of London come to the market. It’s a true piece of London history.”
You may also want to watch:
The property has been substantially remodelled since it was first built and despite it’s impressive age, it is arranged for full modern convenience.
The four floors are stylishly decorated, while a contemporary rear extension in the kitchen adds valuable space and light to the property.
- 1 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 2 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 3 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 6 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 7 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 8 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 9 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 10 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
There is also a secluded private garden and a 35ft patio while wooden beams and fireplaces nod to the longevity of this Highgate Village gem.
The property is on the market for £2,350,000. Find out more here.