Scent the halls with these festive fragrances
- Credit: Archant
The power of scent is well-known – it can turn back time, bring back memories and transport us to other worlds in a nanosecond, which probably explains why more and more of us are embracing home fragrances
The season has characteristic scents, from fir trees and woodsmoke to mince pies and mulled wine – and just a hint of those conjured by the magic of a room spray, candle or diffuser, can evoke the warm, welcoming spirit of holiday time.
“This winter, fragrance is all about the beauty of the outdoors, and those who want to be reminded of all their best childhood memories of the season need look no further than the enchantingly beautiful scents conjuring crisp frosted pines, fir tree, winter citrus, holly, ivy and soft white musk notes, representing the first snowfall of winter,” says Roz Wicks, marketing manager at fragrance house, Symrise.
“For some, nothing makes the season like the smell of spice and there’s an increased focus on food inspired scents this year – brambleberries, cranberries, clementines, cloves, gingerbread, roasted chestnuts, cinnamon, ginger, tonka beans and cardamom. These will fill the house with warmth and cheer on a cold, dark winter’s eve.”
Those seeking glamorous scents for late-night winter soirees could, she suggests, embrace warm oriental notes; rich frankincense, sweet myrrh, velvet rose, sandalwood, cedar and golden amber.
You may also want to watch:
There’s a scent for every seasonal occasion so feel free to pick and choose...
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 5 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 6 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 7 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 8 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Finchley welterweight Florian Markun has opportunity to stamp his mark