Revealed: The cheapest property to buy in Camden
- Credit: Archant
A tiny studio near Camden Road, on the market for £225,000, is the cheapest property for sale in Camden at the moment.
Each metre of the 15.14 m sq “compact” apartment on Cliff Road, NW1 will cost the buyer £14,861 (does that fridge realise how valuable the space it’s sitting on is?) and the flat is being marketed to cash buyers only.
Liana Loporto-Brown sales director at London Residential who are marketing the property says that this is because buyers will be unable to get a mortgage on such a small property
She also said , highlighting the difficulties facing first time buyers struggling to get on to the property ladder.
“It’s not normal to find properties in this price range in this area. The next property that we’ve got available in the area is £400,000. It’s a big jump,” said Mrs Loporto-Brown.
“It’s been on the market for about a month or so, it’s currently being let out so the vendor isn’t in a hurry to sell.
“There have been a few viewings and two offers have been made but they haven’t been accepted. We’ve had both buy-to-let viewers and people who just want it as a pied-a-terre but it’s probably too small to have as your primary residence. It’s kind of like a hotel room.”
The listing describes the property as a “compact studio flat located on the raised ground floor of this lovely gated period development”, while the agents photos show a double bed squeezed into one end of the room, within spitting distance of the kitchenette.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
Estimated mortgage outgoings would be £960 per month according to Zoopla.
The property has been revealed as the cheapest in the borough by online estate agents HouseSimple.com that investigated if it was still possible to buy a property in London for less than the average UK house price of £191,812.
The research found that it is not possible in nine of the 32 boroughs, including Camden, where the current average sale price for a property is £858,067.
Alex Gosling, CEO of o Housesimple.com, said: “These figures reveal how desperate the plight is for ordinary Londoners on average salaries, hoping to buy their first property.
“It’s not surprising that more and more people are starting to move out of London for value. Why pay £200,000 for a studio flat when you can buy a house for the same money just an hour commute away.
“It’s likely in the future we will see less and less people putting their first foot on the property ladder in London.”