Property of the week: Stanmore home of Avengers and Dr Strangelove composer Laurie Johnson
- Credit: Archant
Along with his family, Laurie Johnson has called Priory House home since 1962. A celebrated film and television composer, he is well-known for having scored the music for The Avengers, The New Avengers and The Professionals in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Furthermore, he created the score for Stanley Kubrick’s classic film Dr Strangelove whilst living at Priory House. A national treasure, Mr Johnson was awarded an MBE for his services to music in 2014.
On the market for the first time in 53 years, Priory House is a Grade II-listed Wisteria-clad home which was built circa 1530 on the foundations of what is believed to have been the original C13th Priory.
The extensive house is complete with seven bedrooms, a drawing room, formal sitting room, separate dining room, study, and conservatory. The kitchen boasts authentic wooden beams and an original cast iron Aga.
While its internal features are unique, the property’s greatest asset is its enchanting grounds which extend to 3.3 acres and feature private access to Bentley Priory Nature Reserve. Priory House is approached via its own driveway which angles past a pony paddock and through the gardens, ending in a large parking area to the front of the home. To the right lies the former coach house and garage with attached stables. Planning Permission has been received (and recently renewed) to convert this area into a separate three bedroom dwelling.
You may also want to watch:
Situated in the North West of Stanmore, it is well located for access to Stanmore and its surrounding areas lies within a short distance of renowned schools including Harrow School, Haberdashers’ Aske’s, Aldenham School, and North London Collegiate.
Priory House, Clamp Hill, Stanmore, HA7
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 9 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
Price on application
020 8954 0060