Property of the week: Stanmore home of Avengers and Dr Strangelove composer Laurie Johnson
- Credit: Archant
Along with his family, Laurie Johnson has called Priory House home since 1962. A celebrated film and television composer, he is well-known for having scored the music for The Avengers, The New Avengers and The Professionals in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Furthermore, he created the score for Stanley Kubrick’s classic film Dr Strangelove whilst living at Priory House. A national treasure, Mr Johnson was awarded an MBE for his services to music in 2014.
On the market for the first time in 53 years, Priory House is a Grade II-listed Wisteria-clad home which was built circa 1530 on the foundations of what is believed to have been the original C13th Priory.
The extensive house is complete with seven bedrooms, a drawing room, formal sitting room, separate dining room, study, and conservatory. The kitchen boasts authentic wooden beams and an original cast iron Aga.
While its internal features are unique, the property’s greatest asset is its enchanting grounds which extend to 3.3 acres and feature private access to Bentley Priory Nature Reserve. Priory House is approached via its own driveway which angles past a pony paddock and through the gardens, ending in a large parking area to the front of the home. To the right lies the former coach house and garage with attached stables. Planning Permission has been received (and recently renewed) to convert this area into a separate three bedroom dwelling.
You may also want to watch:
Situated in the North West of Stanmore, it is well located for access to Stanmore and its surrounding areas lies within a short distance of renowned schools including Harrow School, Haberdashers’ Aske’s, Aldenham School, and North London Collegiate.
Priory House, Clamp Hill, Stanmore, HA7
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
Price on application
020 8954 0060