Property of the Week: Dome-estic bliss at Hampstead mansion with spaceship swimming pool
- Credit: Archant
Spacious and modern and set in a prime position overlooking Hampstead Heath, this detached four-bedroom Hampstead house has a unique hidden feature
Behind the Post-Modern 6,888 sq ft house sits a unique Grade II-listed swimming pool, built in a retro-futuristic style for another house altogether during the 1960s.
The pool is on land originally attached to the nearby Schreiber House, which was built for furniture manufacturer Chaim Schreiber from 1962-64. Originally on a much larger plot of land, Schreiber added a pool in 1968 also designed by Gowan.
As the plot was divided up over the years to come, the pool became part of the next door house on Templewood Avenue. It now sits like a beached space craft on the inside corner of the property.
Philip Green, director of Goldscmidt & Howland who are marketing the property, said: “I’ve never heard of another house with a listed swimming pool. It’s a domed pool, which means it’s above ground, whereas most pools are underground.
“The house also has a lift, which is unusual, and from the fourth-floor terrace there’s a fantastic view over the Heath.”
And like Schreiber House next door in its heyday, the Templewood Avenue house is fitted with some of the handiest modern technology including a Creston home automation system, and central vacuum system, as well as a gym, Jacuzzi and sauna.
- 1 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 4 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 5 'First public sculpture' of Mother of Methodism carved in East Finchley
- 6 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 7 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 8 Full fibre broadband rollout coming to Crouch End and Barking
- 9 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 10 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
Templewood Avenue, Hampstead, NW3
Goldschmidt & Howland
020 7435 4404