Presidential appointment for Martyn Gerrard Estate Agents adds to 50th anniversary celebrations
- Credit: Polly Hancock
A party marked the 50th anniversary of a north London estate agents in the same week that the founder’s son was named the president elect of the industry’s leading professional body.
The Mayor of Barnet, Cllr Melvin Cohen, was among those at Alexandra Palace last Thursday to celebrate 50 years of Martyn Gerrard Estate Agents.
The business was founded in 1964 by chairman Martyn Gerrard, 75, who sold his first property in Byng Road, Barnet, for £4,950.
It has since gone on to become one of the city’s leading independent estate agents with branches in areas including East Finchley, Kentish Town, Crouch End and Muswell Hill.
The event was held in the same week that Martyn’s son, Simon, 46, managing director of the business, became president elect of the National Association of Estate Agents.
You may also want to watch:
Taking place at Alexandra Palace’s Palm Court, the event saw speeches as well as a musical performance from The Voice finalist Moni Tivony.
Martyn was then presented with a personalised Monopoly set and treated to a surprise video rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody, performed by his staff.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 7 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 8 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 9 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 10 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
Crouch End resident Simon said: “It was a real pleasure to see so many friends and employees from the past and present in the iconic Palm Court at Alexander Palace to celebrate with us.
“I am proud to have been able to build on the foundations laid by my father when he started the business 50 years ago.
“It is super that we have been able to grow, embracing new, unique marketing and innovations to become the name locally that people can trust and rely on when selling, buying, letting or renting their home.”
Martyn, who lives in Totteridge, added: “The thing that impressed me most was the number of ex-employees from all of the previous 50 years who came from Cumbria to Crouch End to this celebration, and the respect they all showed me.”