Presidential appointment for Martyn Gerrard Estate Agents adds to 50th anniversary celebrations
- Credit: Polly Hancock
A party marked the 50th anniversary of a north London estate agents in the same week that the founder’s son was named the president elect of the industry’s leading professional body.
The Mayor of Barnet, Cllr Melvin Cohen, was among those at Alexandra Palace last Thursday to celebrate 50 years of Martyn Gerrard Estate Agents.
The business was founded in 1964 by chairman Martyn Gerrard, 75, who sold his first property in Byng Road, Barnet, for £4,950.
It has since gone on to become one of the city’s leading independent estate agents with branches in areas including East Finchley, Kentish Town, Crouch End and Muswell Hill.
The event was held in the same week that Martyn’s son, Simon, 46, managing director of the business, became president elect of the National Association of Estate Agents.
You may also want to watch:
Taking place at Alexandra Palace’s Palm Court, the event saw speeches as well as a musical performance from The Voice finalist Moni Tivony.
Martyn was then presented with a personalised Monopoly set and treated to a surprise video rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody, performed by his staff.
- 1 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 4 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 5 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 6 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 9 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 10 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
Crouch End resident Simon said: “It was a real pleasure to see so many friends and employees from the past and present in the iconic Palm Court at Alexander Palace to celebrate with us.
“I am proud to have been able to build on the foundations laid by my father when he started the business 50 years ago.
“It is super that we have been able to grow, embracing new, unique marketing and innovations to become the name locally that people can trust and rely on when selling, buying, letting or renting their home.”
Martyn, who lives in Totteridge, added: “The thing that impressed me most was the number of ex-employees from all of the previous 50 years who came from Cumbria to Crouch End to this celebration, and the respect they all showed me.”